Anna Šebková

* 1935

  • “They were here two days, and the Russians came right after them. I can remember that. They were camped back here, and there’s a little hollow there. The Germans pushed their trucks into it and set them alight. The frames and the metal from them was all left there. And then they drove off. I know that Mummy’s cousin was here, she lived in Olomouc and her family owned a big tailor’s shop, they must have been quite well to do. They had fled Olomouc from the constant bombarding. So they lived with us and then they left with the Germans. Children and all. She had four children. The Russians where somewhere near Šumperk by then. They must have met with the Russians, but we never heard about it. And I know that Mummy used to say how (her cousin) had this big leather bag that she watched very carefully. And one time Mummy had a peak inside and it was full of gold. And when she met the Russians here at Šumperk, then...”

  • “They didn’t hurt children. We could gallivant among them. I know there used to be a big barn up on the hill, and the first to arrive where some horse riders. They were quartered there. Each day they went out to eat to a different place. Usually fried eggs. There was no meat. They didn’t hurt anyone. But later on they raped some of the women.”

  • “Daddy was in the war, but he was soon shot. Already in 1941, so he was home afterwards. He was in a hospital in Poland first, I don’t know where else afterwards, and then he came home. He couldn’t stand on one foot. He’d been shot in the leg and the foot was shorter. And so they didn’t call for him again.”

  • “We had a female teacher, because our teacher was probably at war. Later on in ’44 we had English captives in our class. They were officers mostly. I remember well that we played games with them. They could already speak German. The teacher always said: ‘These are our Todtfeinde. Our deadly enemies.’ But we played games with them. And they would go help the farmers, and I remember there were two who always came to us. One was named Alex and the other Len. They were always guarded by German soldiers, and they always blew the horn at five o’clock for roll call. But only one of them ever went. They always argued as to which of them shall go. When the one came back, the other asked: ‘How many of you were there?’ ‘Oh, only twelve today.’ Because as they called out the names - ‘Present!’ Everyone was present even when they weren’t. They trusted them that much. One of them even had a child with one of the German women here.”

  • Celé nahrávky
  • 1

    Malá Morava - Sklené, 21.06.2012

    délka: 02:12:25
    nahrávka pořízena v rámci projektu Stories of 20th Century
Celé nahrávky jsou k dispozici pouze pro přihlášené uživatele.

There were people here from Starý Hrozenkov, Germans, Slovaks from Romania, Czechs, so you can imagine what it looked like.

Anna Šebková (Stöhrová)
Anna Šebková (Stöhrová)
zdroj: archiv pamětníka

Anna Šebková, née Stöhrová, was born in 1935 in the village of Sklené (Glassdörfel in German), which is now a part of the Malá Morava municipality in the district of Šumperk. Both her parents were of German nationality and most of her predecessors originate from this small village nestled under the looming Śnieżnik Mountains. Anna Šebková lived a large part of her life in Sklené, and it was there that she witnessed not only the Second World War, but also the expulsion of most of the original German inhabitants, the arrival of new settlers and the gradual desolation of the village. Her father was drafted into the Wehrmacht during WW2, he was heavily injured in Romania and released from service after his recovery. Her uncle Adolf Stöhr was captured at Stalingrad and spent several years in prison camps in Siberia, before being one of those few released in the Fifties. The family was not expelled after the war, because Anna‘s father knew the local conditions and thus was retained to train new forest workers. Anna Šebková trained and worked as a seamstress; she married Bohumil Šebek of half-German descent in 1956. They lived together in the village of Velká Morava for some years. She now lives in Sklené again.