Libuše Fajtlová

* 1932

  • "Just to Pankrác. Coincidentally, I got pregnant, and when I went to Pankrác, I wanted to show [my father] my pregnancy record card. The warden immediately told me I couldn't show anything. I didn't get to Ilava after that, but my mother and my cousin were there to see him."

  • "It was a relationship to the working-class , because I was from a working-class family. As the workers were to be helped, it was also almost automatic that the children of communists would také up the membership. Although in our case turned out so that my dad ended up in jail in the 1950s, doing time in Ilava."

  • "Yes, I was ten years old then. When the Germans came, we were hiding, and this time… when the slag was poured out in the steelworks, they used to say: 'Kladno, red Kladno.' When they set Lidice on fire, there was smoke, it went up into the clouds. A lot of people were standing on the road towards the church and we watched the clouds of the black smoke. Then we learned what had happened to the Lidice men and the husbands of the women who had been taken away. When they came back from Ravensbrück concentration camp, word got around that they were bringing back the Lidice women. So my grandmother took me and we went to the school where they were accomodated. The people there brought a lot of things for the women who arrived without anything, skinny and without children. It was such a main... it persisted in a person."

  • Celé nahrávky
  • 1

    Cheb, 08.06.2022

    délka: 01:26:01
    nahrávka pořízena v rámci projektu Stories of the 20th Century TV
Celé nahrávky jsou k dispozici pouze pro přihlášené uživatele.

We lived in belief that the children of communists would take up the membership

Libuše Fajtlová in 2022
Libuše Fajtlová in 2022
zdroj: Memory of Nations

Libuše Fajtlová, née Datlová, was born on 23 March 1932 in Kladno and grew up in a working-class family in Rozdělov. During the German occupation, in June 1942, she watched the burning of Lidice village from Kladno. Right after the war she became a member of the local Scout group and after the ban of its activity she joined the Pioneer organization. Both her parents became members of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia after the war, and in 1948 the witness joined the party. In 1948-1949 she took a one-year preparatory course for her secondary school leaving exams and she was chosen with other students to study in Olomouc. In 1954 she graduated from the university and from 1956 lived and taught together with her husband in Cheb. In the 1950s, her father was convicted in a group show trial and served his sentence in Ilava, Slovakia. Soon after his return from prison he died. As a member of the Communist Party, she went through the party purges after 1968 and remained a member of that political party until the fall of the Communist regime in Czechoslovakia. She is one of the top in the field of bobbin lace making and is a co-founder of the association Krušnohorská Lace. At the time of recording she was living in Cheb (June 2022)