Miroslav Froyda

* 1933  

  • „The first time we went close to Vranov nad Dyjí, but we figured that the border had been pretty well guarded there, so we returned back and went again towards Summerau after a month or so, with an Austrian guide – that means a person who knew perfect German, who sat with us in the train compartment and who accompanied us all to the immediate proximity of the border. After about three hours of walking in late nigh hours, we were spotted there, a flare gun was shot and a dog on a long leash was used, so we lay down in this swamp. I wasn’t armed, but my colleague discarded his gun there, because we had all been aware that the use of a gun or just the discovery of it could lead to a death sentence. Then, naturally, we were arrested, taken to the border guards’ unit and were interrogated there. We were then taken to the Ministry of Interior in Prague, where the interrogations continued, and then to Pilsen. Originally we were in a prison of the State Security close to hotel Continental and then also in a building of the Regional Court.“

  • „The U.S. army already had its representation directly in Vienna, there was also an intelligence unit; we were accommodated in the 17th district, the specific address was Gregor-Mendel-Strasse 56, and from there they drove us daily (except for Saturdays and Sundays) to information extraction. After about two to three weeks they flew us over the Russian zone to the American zone in Linz, where they accommodated us. They had been recruiting to the U.S. army only in West Germany, but we were promised that if we organized an intelligence unit on the Czechoslovak territory, we would be allowed to get in, namely into the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, California.“

  • „We were influenced by the U.S. liberation of Pilsen and our group, or at least I wanted to join the air force and fly over to the Americans after obtaining a pilot license and becoming a lieutenant. That was my plan, which I had been following pretty much since childhood, so I completed a gliding course, which had been paid for by the Ministry of Defence. I had to pass some tests, so it was clear that I was mentally and physically capable of being a fighter pilot. Then I completed courses A, B and C. A and B in Vrchlabí and course C in Raná near Louny. I applied for Airborne Academy in 1953 but based on some anti-state statements of mine I probably aroused some suspicion. So despite being fit, as confirmed by General Vosáhlo, I wasn’t accepted neither as a pilot, nor as a navigator.“

  • Celé nahrávky
  • 1

    Plzeň, 16.05.2018

    nahrávka pořízena v rámci projektu Příběhy regionu - PLZ REG ED
Celé nahrávky jsou k dispozici pouze pro přihlášené uživatele.

Constantly planning an escape is what kept me alive

Miroslav Froyda in 1954
Miroslav Froyda in 1954
zdroj: Pamět národa - Archiv

Miroslav Froyda was born March 7, 1933 in Pilsen, he attended primary school and after one year of training at the Škoda factory he commenced studies at an engineering technical institute, graduating in 1953. His dream was to leave socialist Czechoslovakia and join the U.S. army. He completed a gliding course, but was wasn’t accepted to Airborne Academy, probably because of his anti-state opinions. Miroslav and his friend jumped over the wired border barrier near Vranov nad Dyjí and fled to Vienna, where they looked for a U.S. intelligence agency. They were promised they would get into U.S. army if they managed to organize an intelligence unit in Czechoslovakia. In August 1954 they were sent from Austria to Czechoslovakia by the American MIS, equipped with fake IDs and money. They were however detained by the border guards and were sentenced to 15 years of prison the same year. Miroslav Froyda was imprisoned for 11 years in prisons in Mírov, Leopoldov, Pilsen, Příbram and Valdice. In 2013 he was recognized as a war veteran and a Member of the anti-communist resistance and opposition by the Ministry of Defence.