Ilja Stern

* 1960

  • "Then came the year seventy-seven, Charter [77] as such. That was more difficult, because there were already house searches, harassment from Security Service officers on the street and such. A few times I was dragged away... I was coming home from apprenticeship and they dragged me into a passageway, I got a few slaps and they threw me out again. That was normal back then, actually. I wasn´t trying to solve that either. But I used to defy them, because when they were arresting my mother, who was going with me to the bus stop, I was defying them, so I got a few slaps again. Because you knew you weren't going to oppose somehow, because what can a 17-year-old do against three guys dragging your mom away from you, taking her in for questioning? Nothing. But you are trying to stand up to them."

  • "There were terribly long buildings with one entrance, a long building, I don't know, forty meters. So take a forty-metre corridor where they spilt water with a fire hose, they stirred soap into it, greasy one, and Stern and whoever was the most the time, whom they wanted to humiliate too, they were to wipe that up - but with shoelaces. Yes, we had to wipe the 40-metre corridor with shoelaces. And we did it. We finished in twelve hours. Because you knew... The same way you can't defend yourself against a crowd, you can't defend yourself against twenty forty idiots who think they've got sense. There's no point in opposing them. You have to stand it."

  • "A lot of very prominent people used to come to see us after the year 1968. Some I liked, some I... not didn´t like, that's the wrong way to put it. Some I liked and some were just acquaintances. The one I liked the most was František Kriegel, who lived just near here in the street Na Smetance. Then [I liked] Smrkovský, we used to go to their cottage. And the closest relationship we had was with the Říha family, if that rings the bell, Professor Říha and his wife Doctor Říhová, a childless couple who lived in Prague 1, I think. No, it was [Prague] two. They were wonderful people."

  • Celé nahrávky
  • 1

    Praha, 05.05.2022

    délka: 01:52:30
    nahrávka pořízena v rámci projektu Stories of the 20th Century TV
Celé nahrávky jsou k dispozici pouze pro přihlášené uživatele.

Thank God my parents were upright

Ilja Stern, late 1980s
Ilja Stern, late 1980s
zdroj: Witness´s archive

Ilja Stern was born on 24 July 1960 in Prague. His mother Jana Sternová, née Volková, came from West Bohemia and was a professional ballerina. His father, Vladimír Stern, worked for Czechoslovak intelligence service, which provided State Security (StB) system with information from abroad. The invasion of the Warsaw Pact troops opened his parents‘ eyes and changed their view of the regime in Czechoslovakia. Sometime in 1969, Ilja Stern began to notice the visits that were increasingly frequent. František Kriegel and Josef Smrkovský were close friends of the family. Vladimír Stern was dismissed from the intelligence service in August 1970 for his „hostile attitude towards the socialist establishment“. He was also expelled from the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia (KSČ) and lost his rank and honours. The prominent family became enemies of the state. The witness had trouble being admitted to secondary school, and eventually was able to train as a toolmaker. In December 1976, his parents were among the first to sign the Charter 77 declaration. On several occasions, he was dragged into a passageway on his way home from school and beaten by unknown men. Although State Security (StB) tried to make life unpleasant for the whole family, they continued to meet, for example, with the philosopher Jan Patočka and Václav Havel. After completeing his apprenticeship, Ilja Stern began working as an orderly at the Motol hospital thanks to a reference from a friend. A month before he started his basic military service in 1978, his sister emigrated. He served near Vimperk in Šumava. He was repeatedly bullied and interrogated several times because of his sister‘s emigration. During those two years he spent a lot of time in military prison. Not once was he allowed home on leave, not even a short pass. He ran away twice, once to attend the funeral of Jan Patočka. He was interrogated several more times in the 1980s. From 1984, his mother was the spokesperson of Charter 77. During the demonstration on 17 November 1989, he was among paramedics who took injured protesters away from Národní Street. In 2022, he was living in Malšice in southern Bohemia.