Erna Pokorná

* 1931

  • “It was in a hall in a pub and mother´s brother Jenda went there to have a look out of curiosity as he was young, so I know that he came straight home and said that it was impossible to watch what was going on there. Husch was still alive and they dragged him from the pub and opposite here, there is, they said during war that they constructed it as a shelter, it is a small shed and there is a flat roof up and there is a garden on it. And they threw him down into the shed and the one who lived there, the owner whose name was Heyduk, he finished him off there.”

  • “It once happened that Mr. Andrusiv came to see mum that how the transports went on the main track to Třebová that some of the Russian refugees managed to escape and they walked and came to Skutče and someone must have given them advice that he was Russian, so they came to see him and it was winter in 1945/1945, sometime in January or so. He hid them in a shed near to a quarry, they were two of them but it was very cold there and they were afraid to make fire so that nobody could see that there was smoke so he came to see mum if she would take them here. And of course, my mum said if someone helped my son, I had to do it. So, she took them here. Upstairs, there is a little narrow room over the main corridor, so they put them there, they washed them, they were full of lice, and they were closed there, poor men, but they had a bed there, they had duvets and they were warm, so at least this.”

  • “Cousin Ervin who went with him to Auschwitz came back and brother did not, he took care of him all the years. He probably did not tell the truth to my mother, I do not know how it happened, we never found out. Because he told to my mother that when they were abandoning the camp, he told to Jiří: ‘Wait here and I will be right back.‘ And when he came back, Jirka was not there. They shot everyone who could not walk, and Ervin hid under the dead people, I do not know for how long he lied there, he narrated it like this and Jirka walked in the transport, in the death march and he got typhus and died there.And then Ervin, when everyone had left and it was calm there, he walked and a Pole, a farmer, there was a house, so they hid him in the attic and he stayed there for some time and then he set on a journey... well, he came back.”

  • Celé nahrávky
  • 1

    Hroubovice, 31.05.2019

    délka: 01:44:38
    nahrávka pořízena v rámci projektu Stories of 20th Century
Celé nahrávky jsou k dispozici pouze pro přihlášené uživatele.

I will never understand why dad or other Jews did not leave the village when they already knew what was happening in Germany

Old period photograph of Erna Pokorná, née Lamplová
Old period photograph of Erna Pokorná, née Lamplová
zdroj: archiv pamětníka

Erna Pokorná, née Lamplová was born on the 16th of May 1931 in Hroubovice as a second child to a mixed family; father Ervin Lampl was a Jew, mother Anna was a Roman Catholic. Father died in 1939 because of a car crash, few months after the beginning of German occupation. Even though he was not very religious, he wanted the children to be registered in a Jewish register. After her brother Jiří Lampl reached fifteen years, he had to get on a transport to Terezín. His cousin Ervin from Skutče took care of him there. Unfortunately, they both had to go to one of last transports to East. Brother Jiří died during a death march after the destruction of camp in Bialystok. Erna, her aunt married to Aryan and her two children were the only one who survived Holocaust from the Jewish part of the family. They hid Russian refugees in their family house at the end of war. Erna studied a grammar school in Chrudim after war and she started to work in Transporta factory in Chrudim. She was dismissed from the factory because of losing credibility in 1958. Erna Pokorná raised two sons. She became a widow in 1979. Later, she returned to Transporta and the purges after 1968 affected only her husband. She retired on the 1st of July 1989.